Monday, February 16, 2009

The length of the Cunningham Fellowship

Subject: Re: [MLAICS-L] The length of the Cunningham Fellowship
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:44:37 +0000
From: vaferguson@supanet.com
Reply-To: vaferguson@supanet.com
To: MLAICS-L@LISTSERV.IUPUI.EDU


I support Donna's proposal.
Although I have not experienced the Cunningham Fellowship scheme myself I have
travelled abroad for varying periods of time in different climates and time zones. I
am well aware of the need to allow time to a) overcome travel fatigue b)orient
myself to a different culture and time zone c)begin to take in and assimilate new
experiences and knowledge in a short space of time.
The MLA conference alone requires concentrated attention and energy.

I would urge a return to a more extended stay for at least one Cunningham Fellow per
year.
At the same time occasional Fellowships for a shorter stay confined to a specific
objective might be possible?? Did we not discuss this in 2007?

Best wishes to all

Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment